My uncle was one of those guys who was always the life of any gathering. He was funny, but not in an over the top kind of a way...his humor was more like David Letterman...more subtle. I used to love when he would tell one of his colorful stories...he always had a way of giving you a funny visual that, by the end of the story, had you laughing so hard you stomach would hurt!When I was about nine, I went over to his and my aunt's house. He had just arrived home and had a bag of what looked like candy. I LOVED CANDY! He looked at me and asked if I wanted a piece....HELLO? YES! I started munching on the candy and he looked at me and started to smile. "Do you like that candy?" Oh ooo! "Yes," I said. "Good cause it's chocolate covered ants!" he said laughing. I thought he was kidding until my aunt came out, "Art, you didn't give him some of those chocolate covered ants did you?"
He wasn't kidding!
He hooked me like a trout on a shiny lure! After that I was always a bit gun-shy whenever he offered me something to eat or drink. "What did you do to it Uncle Arthur?" "Nothing" he would say with a grin. I used to always check with my aunt just to make sure.
When he wasn't joking he was a dad to four kids and a loving husband to my Aunt. I remember many Thanksgivings and Christmas dinners at his home in New Hampshire. He would help with the cooking of the turkey or making his homemade stuffing. There were jokes and lots of laughter.
I remember one pre-christmas party we had a "Yankee Swap." This is when you get a wrapped gift, it can be new or old, and everyone puts the gifts under the tree. Then you draw numbers and pick a gift. You can keep it or swap with someone else (who has already opened their gift. We decided that year to give old or used ones.) I found this old ship in my cellar....wrapped it up, dust, cobwebs and all and brought it to the party. Well, guess who opened up that gift? You got it... Uncle Arthur...of course he swaped it with his son! I think I got that ship back a year or so later. I'm not sure who has it now...it probably ended up being firewood.
My uncle ran a successful window shade and blinds business for many years until his retirement. He and my aunt moved to Florida where he was until his passing. Looking back I think he had a pretty full life. His love for humor and people will remain with us forever.
Uncle Arthur...when Jesus takes me home to be with him...meet me at the gate, just don't bring any food for me... cause I still don't think I will eat it.
Blessings... :-)
3 comments:
A great post, my friend. I loved reading about your uncle. I feel like I've known him, just through the reading of it.
He was quite the man. He actually was kind of shy but his sense of humor made people like him. He did well in business because he always made people smile.
Well Darryl I read it and I cried & laughed as did Phil. Thank you so much for that. We miss him and will always.
See you on the 22nd.
Callie
Post a Comment