Saturday, June 2, 2007

Is it June ALREADY???!!!

It seems to me that time is flying by and everytime I turn around it's the beginning of another month! I have been working hard with my brother and his business...it is physical work and my lazy butt is not used to physical work (I've been doing the cube farm thing for over 15 years...that's office work in case you don't know the term "cube farm" or cubicle office worker.)

I like being outside (even though my body pains at the end of the day) and the time seems to fly as I wash windows or help my brother with pressure washing homes. I still needed to have another full time job until we get the business as a year round one. I was having a really bad time finding something because it had to be night work. I was online and saw an ad for the lead generation company I once worked for was looking for people. I emailed them and asked him if he would hire me back for night work. Long story short...I start on Monday.

I was really happy to go back there because I did a dumb thing and left this job over a year and a half ago...thinking a found a better job...which ended up being a HUGE mistake. I thought I had burned a bridge by leaving (I later found out I hadn't and could've gone back once the job I left to go to didn't work out.) When I worked there I found that I was successful and happy with what I was doing. I was making good money and the owners liked me.

So what happend?

I guess I could blame my Adult ADD and my tendency to have a restless side. In layman's terms...I get bored easily. Aside from my ADD, I think I got caught up in the outside effects of those that I work with (actually, this IS an ADD trait.) I have a hard time concentrating when there is a lot of outside noise (and there was.) I thought I found a job that was closer to home. Basically, I jumped without thinking it through...a spontaneous decision...not a good thing for those with ADD.

So now I am gainfully employed (as well as the weekend job at the radio station) and things are good. I feel less stress and my wife feels A LOT less stress! I began to think about how there are so many instances for those of us with ADD to see all of the negative things about it. I decided to google "positive things about having ADD." I love Google! I found some really interesting articles that I would like to share with you.

I found a CNN health minute article which grabbed my attention because it was written by Judy Fortin. I used to work with Judy at a local TV station in Manchester NH. The article quoted Stephanie Moulton Sarkis who stated that 4% of Americans have a diagnosed ADD, but those who have it and don't know it is not known. ADD is still thought of as a child/adolescents condition. What is really alarming is that 70% "grow into Adult ADD." I am not sure what they meant by this, but I will assume it means that the "unknown percentage" not knowing they have it, discover it later in life....that's my story as you already know.

Sarkis' book "10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD" ( www.stephaniesarkis.com) states that medication is NOT a cure to the condition. Meds should be used in conjunction with counseling...I agree. She said to also take a look at your lifestyle, exercise and get enough sleep.
She said to choose a flexible job...hmmmm...working for my brother is flexible! What I found really funny is she suggests that most people with ADD don't do well in a 9-5 cubile-type job! That makes me laugh as that is what I've been doing for the past 15 yrs. I thought about this.

I think the reason that I did so well at the Lead Generations job is because I had full control over what I did. I found it challenging to call people and get their interest in what I had to offer them. I also found a good way to talk to people and immediately know if they were interested. The job also allowed me to multitask while I was there. I could look up a company and get info on them before calling. I also could surf the net while waiting for someone to answer the phone. Normally, surfing the net wouldn't allow someone to perform. For me it worked. I was usually looking at the company's website while on hold. It worked for me.

The more I read about the aspects of ADD, the more I wanted to see if there were anymore articles praising the positives of Adult ADD. I will share more of what I found out next time.

Blessings...

No comments: