Saturday, March 10, 2007

Brad Delp- A childhood hero dead at 55

If you are 35 years or older (or if you are just a classic rock fan) you may have heard the news about Brad Delp, lead singer from the 70's rock band Boston. He was found dead at his home in Londonderry, New Hampshire on Friday (3/9/07.) He was 55 years old.

The 70's were a time of transition. In the span of of three years; President Nixon left the presidency to avoid being impeached, Gerald Ford made history by becoming the first president NOT to be voted in office by the people, and finally, a peanut farmer named Jimmy Carter became "The Commander and Chief." The 70's, needless to say, were weird!
One of the things that was consistent in my life at that time, was music. I listened to Dale Dorman on WRKO-AM on my little transistor radio at night. In 1975, I discovered FM radio. No static, great music and not as many commercials! I fell in love with bands like: The Eagles, Foreigner, BTO and others. In short, I became a rock fan.

In 1976, I was introduced to Boston. I thought, "What a great name for a band!". Living about 15 minutes from Beantown, a band celebrating my beloved city, MUST be cool. I figured there was a band named "Chicago" why not one named "Boston?" About this time, I had joined a "record club." My first album was, of course, Boston. My favorite station, F105 was playing "More than a feeling" on a high rotation (this is radio talk for saying they were playing the heck out of it.)

So, I waited daily for my Boston album to come in the mail. I remember when I got home one day to see my Columbia House package. I was with my friend Carl and we couldn't wait to hear more songs on this album. We weren't disappointed! Songs like: "Peace of Mind" "Long Time" and "Rock and Roll Band" became songs we loved to listen to (not too bad considering we were only 12 at the time.)
Boston's first album sold over 17 million copies. The voice of Brad Delp was one that was instantly noticable once you heard it. Boston seemed to tour forever (although I never got the opportunity to see them live.) And then....nothing. It seemed that the band was gone. No second album. The end of the 70's came to an end and disco ruled the airwaves....I liked it only due to the fact that lots of pretty girls seemed to like it (when you are in your teens and can get close to a girl by dancing with her...you go with it.) I know...WHAT was I thinking???

It wasn't until the mid 80's before we heard back from Boston. Brad was back and "Amanda" hit high rotation. Brad's high notes were a welcome relief! But, it didn't last long. One album and it was over. I had heard (being in radio I heard the conversations about how they were done, that Brad now lived in New Hampshire and was recording in his home studio.)


A DJ friend of mine, who met him, told me that he had formed a band named "Beatlejuice" that sang all Beatles covers. I remember hearing that they came to the seacoast of New Hampshire where I lived. Again, I never got a chance to see them. Brad and Boston will always be a favorite band of mine. From reading about his life and from talking to my friend, I have learned that Brad was a generous man who did a lot for those less fortunate than himself.
Athough he wasn't a " 70's mega-superstar" like: Jagger, Bowie, Frampton or Tyler, Brad will always remain a superstar in my life.
RIP Brad.






No comments: