When I mention "The B" I am referring to the radio station that I work at...WUBB-FM B95.3. Things are going quite well since our new program director arrived. Jeff is from the old school of radio (like me.) We have an interesting similarity in our radio history...we both worked for the infamous Jack O'Brien in our WERZ days. We were both given our first radio job by Jack!
I wasn't sure what Jeff wanted to do with me (since I have felt I have stagnated as a board operator for the NASCAR/MRN racing for two years now.) I decided that I should meet him, so one morning when I wasn't working my other job, I went to a "jock" meeting. I liked the guy. He and I seem to have the same kind of weird humor. At the end of the meeting I had a chance to talk to him. I told him that when he had a chance I would like to talk with him and see where I fit into his plans for the "B" and ClearChannel Radio. It only took a week for him to email me...email ME! This was amazing as well as encouraging. I liked the last PD,but he never seemed to be accessible...Jeff was making me realize that all PD's were not the same!
I wasn't sure what Jeff wanted to do with me (since I have felt I have stagnated as a board operator for the NASCAR/MRN racing for two years now.) I decided that I should meet him, so one morning when I wasn't working my other job, I went to a "jock" meeting. I liked the guy. He and I seem to have the same kind of weird humor. At the end of the meeting I had a chance to talk to him. I told him that when he had a chance I would like to talk with him and see where I fit into his plans for the "B" and ClearChannel Radio. It only took a week for him to email me...email ME! This was amazing as well as encouraging. I liked the last PD,but he never seemed to be accessible...Jeff was making me realize that all PD's were not the same!When we met, he told me that he would like to hear a voicetrack from me (this is a "mock" air shift on a CD that shows your talent....or sometimes, lack of it.) I've been doing this for about a year and have noticed my "talent" is improving. He said that if I sounded good he would like to start me on overnights on the "B." This is what I have wanted for over 2 yrs now!
He has also given me other opportunites. For the past two thursday nights I've been the spokesperson for ClearChannel at the Seacoast Science Center's summer concert series. I go on mike during the bands break and give away t-shirts and other assorted prizes. It's fun!
This past thursday, Wendy, who is the host from Seacoast Science Center said I was from Citidel Communications (which is our competitor in Dover NH.) I was sitting a bit away from
her and when she looked at me, I cupped my hands around my mouth and yelled "CLEARCHANNEL RADIO!" You should've seen her face....she was humbly embarassed.
her and when she looked at me, I cupped my hands around my mouth and yelled "CLEARCHANNEL RADIO!" You should've seen her face....she was humbly embarassed.During the break I turned her blunder into an opportunity. I went up and reintroduced myself AND ClearChannel. Then we played the dollar bill game (to give away the prizes.) I used the call letters (B953, WQSO 69.7, WERZ 107.1 and WHEB 100.3) and if you had those number in some sort of order...you got a prize. The game was a HUGE success and everyone wanted my free-bees!
I look forward to more fun events at ClearChannel. I also hope to be doing some voice tracking for the "B" soon. So if you're up really late at night...put on the "B" and here a familiar voice...it's just me!
Blessings...
2 comments:
This is great news indeed. Praise the Lord that things are happening for you in this area. I know that it's something that you have been working hard to get back to this past year plus, at least.
I can't wait to hear you on the air.
Todd,
I hope you can stay up that late! Remember, it's going to be overnights if it happens! :)
Post a Comment