We stopped at Golick's Ice Cream Stand down the road. I got my usual: Maple Walnut and Cody, the favor of the month kid, got cotton candy (I tried it and it wasn't that bad!) I was multi-tasking my listening between the Red Sox game on the radio and Cody's chatter about day camp. I looked at him and noticed how big he was getting. At 9 and a half he is a good size and solid. This fall he wants to play pop-warner football. And it starts.
When we got home, we decided to play around on the computer. Cody loves what he calls "sick cars" (that is any fast sleek looking car.) He know them all by sight: Lamborgini's, Porche's, BMW's ...all the really expensive ones! I told him that he might want to get good grades in school and get a good paying job if wants cars like the ones he was looking at.
I did a google search to see if I could find MY first car. A 1973 Dodge Dart. Not the most glamorous car in history (to really make it worse it was a four door!) I let my parents talk me into buying it (I figured they were co-signing I better listen to them.) It cost me $1500.00, I
put $500.00 down on it and financed $1000.00. I remember the excitment as I drove away....my car! ALL MINE! Ok, so it was blueberry blue and was about as fast as a snail going uphill, but it was mine! Now that I think about it....it was probably a good thing the car was slow. I had a heavy foot back then and IF I had a car any faster, I probably would've had a ton of speeding tickets (or I would've had a car on blocks...mom and dad wouldn't have allowed me to drive!) I have fond memories of the blueberry...times with friends, girls etc. It was a good little car. I traded it in the summer of '82 for a 1980 Datsun (this was before they changed their name to Nissan) 310GX. It was the dawn of smaller cars and better gas mileage. Ronald Reagan was President and we were changing with the times!
I miss you old Blueberry wherever you are! RIP....
Blessings :)
No comments:
Post a Comment