Saturday, July 21, 2007

What I want to do when I grow up....a bit late

So here I sit at the radio station running the MRN racing. It isn't that difficult to do...I just hit some buttons to run local commercials when they take a break (usually when someone crashes and a yellow flag is thrown.) If you follow Nascar, you know what I am taking about...if not, don't worry about it.

This time alone gives me time to multi-task and think about life. I've been thinking about doing something to help those with ADD and ADHD. Since I have this entertainment gift, I thought I could do two things.
First, do a show about ADD. I would take it from a perspective of a someone WITH Add, and what I've learned about it. I spoke with some people at Portsmouth Public Radio about the idea and they seemed interested. I filled out a form about the show I wanted to do and did a "mock" show here at Clear Channel. I didn't sound half bad. I even had a co-worker listen to it and he liked it as well.
Second, I would also like to go to schools and other facilities and do a workshop about ADD and ADHD. I also knew that I would need to have some sort of degree to do this. I'm not sure what this degree would be or where I would get it, but I do believe I can find out. I once worked for a college and my job was doing speaking workshops at area high schools...I LOVED IT! I liked talking to the kids on subjects like: Job Interview Skills, How to Apply for Scholarships etc.

I can see using my humor about my ADD and what my life was like and is now. I think that there are a lot of people out there who suffer with ADD/ADHD and don't even know about it. I had it for years and didn't know, so it would be safe to assume that there are others. Third, I have been off my meds for about 4 weeks now. I ran out of my adderoll and thought I would see if I could function without it. I noticed that my creative juices came back. I had a lot of great ideas. I also found that I COULD, in fact, function.
A few months ago I started going to a new counselor who started giving me Staterra with my Adderoll. I didn't see a difference. I began to feel like the meds weren't doing anything. Could it have been what I was doing for work? It was very physical. Was I becoming immuned to the meds? IS that possible? I don't know. All I knew was that I felt tired a lot and that I didn't seem to care about anything. I used to have a zest for things beyond work...this had disappeared.

I didn't like this.

So, I feel great now. I am back at the old job...as I have mentioned. I also found out that it's quite possible that I could go back to being a full time employee there again. This is a great thing.

I know I need to write down my ideas and start thinking about how I am going to successfully complete them. First, I need to look into school. I also need talk to the main headquaters at CHADD to see if there is opportunities to speak about ADD at school, meetings etc. I have a lot of work to do. Pray for me and that if this is God's will that I will find it challenging and rewarding.

Blessings...

2 comments:

Todd Peterman said...

Glad to hear that you are getting the creative juices back, there. I am also glad to hear that you are trying to move away from the meds. Always a good thing. I actually think that helps to build the coping skills needed to be successful in dealing with this. Hope you keep us apprised of developments.

Darryl said...

I think the meds helped me to relax and look at the things I was doing. It also allowed me to modify what I was doing right. Now that these steps are in place I am able to refer to them and adjust what needs to be adjusted.