Actually let's rename this "Altenative treatments for ADD~Do they work?" I did some extensive research (actually I googled a bunch of stuff and looked at a ton of websites....is that research?) What I found out only hits the tip of the iceburg when it comes to treatment for ADD.
First on my list is a company called www.extend-life.com. When I first went to the site all I saw was price lists for natual suppliments, however, upon further review I now see a site with information about natural and other drugs that treat all different types of ailments. I seached under ADD and found a natural suppliment called "Neuro Natual Memory." The pill helps concentrates on brain functions and memory enhancement. It is used for Alzheimer patients. For 90 tablets you pay $39.45. There was also a host of conventional treatment drugs: Tacrine, Donepezil and Rivastigmine (I will have to do more research on these drugs as it didn't say exactly what they did.)
I found a blog called Gym in a suitcase (www.gyminasuitcase.com.) There was some wonderful information about Omega3 Fatty acid. It said that not all supplements are not alike. Some can be contaminated with toxic levels of mercury and other organic pollutants. I went back to the site for more info, but now it is an exercise site. Check it out anyway.
From other random sites I did find out that there are 3 different Omega3 oils. Docosahexaenoc Acid (DHA) Eicosapentaeonic Acid (EPA...I talked about this one in my last post) and Alphalinolenic Acid (ALA). DHA and EPA are found in most fish oils. DHA is more important that EPA and ALA. It is suggested that when you consume Omega3 it should have as much DHA in it as possible.
Edison Factor is a tablet with calcium, zinc, sodium and other natural suppliments (used for young children and teens.) A site called www.nativeremedies.com had a suppliment called BrightSpark (125 tablets for $29.95 + $5.99 s&h.)
Next I found another pill called Pycnogenol. It protects blood cells and crosses the blood brain barrier to protect brain cells. We all know that ADD is a lack of blood flow to the frontal regions of the brain, so this product got my interest. It is made from an extract from the bark of French Maritine Pine Trees. It stated that it was less costly than traditional drugs, was as safe as vitamin C and 20 times more powerful than it. It also stated that it was 50 times more powerful than vitamin E.
The first case study using Pycnogenol was in 95 to treat someone with ADHD. After using this product for her daughter, the mom was able to take her off Ritalin. Another study (this time using an ADD study group) with Pycnogenol. They stated that they saw vast improvements after taking it. They were more alert, less depressed, anxious and no longer needed antidepressant drugs. They also said they had an increase in energy.
The next question is: Is it safe? Dr. Peter Rohdewald of The Pharmacology Institute of The University of Munster in Germany stated that it indeed was. He said it was a natual product with NO side effects.
Maybe you have read all this and said to yourself...isn't there anything else beside filling myself with drugs or suppliments? The answer is YES. There is something called a "Neurophycholgical Assesment." It measures cognitive abilities like: learning & memory, attention & concentration, language & communication and visual perception. I found a facility in Boston Massachusetts called Commonwealth Psychology Associates, which is a clinical & consulting service. Their website is: www.commpsych.com. If this facility is not near you then I would suggest that you email them and see if there's a facility closer to where you live.
Well....there is so much more I could list, but I don't want to ramble on. I hope this will help those of you out there who might be searching for an answer. Any question or comments, please feel free to leave them here.
And the Quest continues!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment