king to a good friend on Facebook about our lives and I found that we were kindred spirits. We shared similar experiences, disappointments and the most important thing in our lives...our children.The conversation turned to how this world was less tolerant than it once had been, like when we were kids. It seems that common decency was not the norm anymore. We both wondered where it had gone. I mentioned to her that it seemed to me that society was all about the "WIFFM Factor." The "what's in it for me" school of thought. I am reminded of the Kevin Costner movie "Field of Dreams." There is a scene near the end when Terrance Mann (James Earl Jones) is asked to go into the field with Shoeless Joe Jackson (Ray Liotta.) Ray Kinsella (Costner) is told he isn't invited to go.

This angers Kinsella and he gets mad and reminds Liotta that HE was the one who sacrificed his field, time and money etc. Liotta says "Are you asking whats in it for you?" to which Costner replies "No...I'm asking...whats in it for me?" (or something like that.) Funny how art imitates life isn't it?
So I guess my question is: why is society so focused on themselves? Why does it have to be about them? We all fall victim to this and as I explained to my friend, because of our sin nature. We are selfish people. Sad, but true.
Constants in life: taxes, bills, sickness, death, but there are also good things like: Sunshine, love, laughter, family, children and smiles. I think that if everyone would just "pay if forward" and do something nice for someone without thinking about themselves, the world would be a much better place. How about we try niceness for a change? Who's with me?
Thank you Karen for inspiring me.... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment